Race Report: 2018 Best Damn Race New Orleans

This year we decided to do a destination race to the "Big Easy" of New Orleans.  It is only a little less than 10 hours to drive or about an hour flight up to NOLA.  Best Damn Race is a (mainly) Florida road race series and this is the 2nd annual event in New Orleans.  There are other events in areas such as Orlando, Jacksonville, and Safety Harbor (10 minutes from my house). This race comes just a few weeks after Rock N Roll New Orleans but is much less expensive and without the corporate splash that comes with RNR races.  We gathered a group of friends and planned our destination race experience.  In the season plan, this was a B race backup to Gasparilla in case of a blown race there. Since Gasparilla was a sufferfest of heat, this now would be elevated.  No fun run for me. 

Race Week

Well, race week did not go as planned.  I was recovering from a head cold during the prior week. Wednesday, I started having major issues at work in what I thought was either a cardiac event or an allergic reaction.   I ended up in the ER for evaluation.  After clearance from cardiac issues, the best we could find was some sort of allergy or reaction that caused a panic attack like event.  So I felt a little better knowing I didn't have a pressing cardiac issue that could manifest during the race.  Still, it took a bit out of me for the 7 hour ER "experience".  

We drove up Thursday evening and stopped in Tallahassee.  Friday, we continued on through Alabama/Mississippi and arrived in New Orleans by mid afternoon.  We did a little sightseeing Friday evening and then again on Saturday.  I was thoroughly unimpressed by the city.  I'm not sure what I was expecting but the French Quarter was small, run-down, filthy, smelly, and riddled with people asking for money.  Even at 11am it smelled like a cross between a frat party and New York City.  The Garden District was much nicer but just houses and cemeteries.  I guess it is a food city but being vegetarian, I found little of interest. Maybe I was expecting the Disney version (i.e Port Orleans resort or Princess and the Frog movie).   

Race Day

The plan was to get up at 5am, get ready, head to the shuttle around 6-6:15, and then take the 10 minute ride toward Louis Armstrong Park.  We were awoken early around 4:00 by the revelries of the room next door.  Apparently 4am is a great time to either start your day (less likely) or end your night (more likely).  Either way, we were all up.  At least it was not a 2am Disney race wake up call.  

On arrival, we noticed that the park was not very crowded for this race.  It seemed like a very small race, even by BDR standards.  I wondered how many were registered and how many didn't come due to weather.  There may not be too much company along the course.  I did a short warm up around the area, complete with drills. If Coach has taught me one thing, it is to warm up and do drills to get my body ready to run. So, there, I did learn something.  

Speaking of weather, dew points were way up and it felt like a Tampa day.  Actually, it felt worse as there was a south wind right up off the Gulf and the marshes, bringing in loads of humidity and warm air.  Temperatures were in the 60s but the added humidity meant oppressive conditions.  I was already sweaty at the start line.  Breathing would be a lot of fun during this race. 

Race

The course consists of three out-and-back segments.  Starting toward the central business district, the race runs along Rampart St, through Lee Circle, down St. Charles for a few blocks, then retraces back to Louis Armstrong Park.  Then the race heads past the park, toward the Mississippi on Esplanade, back up Esplanade to Rampart, and then continues on Esplanade for a long time.  Once at City Park, it heads parallel up Wisner Blvd along the canal turning around at Mirabeau Ave.  Then retraces the course back to Louis Armstrong Park, finishing under the arches of the park.  Not quite as interesting a course as RNR, as this did not venture at all into the French Quarter.  But that might be OK after seeing how small those streets were. 

My plan was to start around a 7:45/mile pace and slowly drop to 7:15 for the bulk of the race, then go a bit harder after 10.  Since it was warm, I adjusted to start around 8:00/mile and see how I felt.  Coach set out an ambitious plan that, on paper, looked quite good.  But as usual, the weather required some adjusting.  My thought was to just go and see what happens.  The half went off at 7:15am and the 5k shortly after at 7:30am.  

At mile 3, the half marathon merged back with the 5k course on Rampart St.  Major issues ensued.  The problem was that the 5k started 15 minutes after the half and we ended up merging into the back portion of the 5k.  I was about 20th place overall at this point and I was merging with my wife, who runs a 13:00 mile.  It was nearly impossible to weave and safely get through the crowd of hundreds of 5k-ers. I felt terrible as I kept shouting "on your left" or "on your right" to help clear people out of the way.  I was up on sidewalks, over on the trolley tracks, and forming an alliance with two other half marathoners to help guide us through.  This merge lasted all the way until nearly the finish of the 5k (about 2 miles) when finally the half split off to go uptown.  To say the least, it was beyond frustrating and dangerous.  

After leaving the 5k mess, I was finally able to try to settle into a groove.  Esplanade was shaded with large oak trees, thankfully.  However, it was still hot, humid, and getting worse due to the late start at 7:15. I tried to push my pace but could only muster keeping it around 7:30-7:40.  I decided to stay there and evaluate every two miles or so.  My brain kept saying go and my body reacted with no.  
We got up around I-610 and found a bridge.  What!?  Everyone said NOLA is under sea level.  I thought the course was flat but there it was: an overpass that we had to run (twice).  Not quite as bad as the causeways here but enough of a hill to make it difficult.  It also came in the dark area of mile 6-9 where mental toughness is key.  

After the turn around, I again tried to see if I could speed up but no luck.  I was pretty much stuck here if I didn't want to completely run out before the end.  So that was that.  At mile 12, I ran out of gas and just had to hang on like a water skier behind a boat.  The fifth-overall female passed me with about half a mile to go and I just stuck to her like a shadow for the rest.  

Crossing the Finish line
Overall (1:41:50)

In the end, I ended up at 1:41:50.  Technically, it is a new personal best for the half marathon but was far off from my goals for the race and the season.  I came in 5th in my AG and 35th overall in the race.  My age group is stupid fast.  Not a bad showing.  It's a bit frustrating to have both races (actually 3/4 races) end up on crappy hot/humid weather days.  

Now, I swing over into triathlon for a while.  Florida will heat up and make running difficult.  I have a few sprint events coming up leading to IRONMAN 70.3 North Carolina in the fall.  I'll probably sprinkle a few 5ks in over the summer.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gear Review: Orbea Ordu

Book Review: 80/20 Running

Gear Review: Campagnolo Bullet 80