A Familiar Race

Today is Father's Day.  I am not a father (unless you count my fur-children) but Father's day means the Annapolis Striders' Dawson's Father's Day 10k on the Baltimore Annapolis Trail.  It's not really a trail but a paved bike/run path.  This is an out and back course on mostly flat terrain.  It was my PR 10k last year.  I look forward to this race as the trail is very familiar to me since I run this portion frequently.

Yesterday, I needed to do 20 miles on the bike for my training plan.  It was such a beautiful day that I decided to keep riding.  About half-way back on my course, I realized that I had a race the next morning.  In the end, I had to get back to my car regardless so I ended up doing 30 miles.  The tri bike certainly helps reduce the stress on the legs.

I wasn't really sure how this race was going to go so I just ran it without a Garmin/Timex GPS.  It was pretty humid here this morning and I felt it.  The race itself was uneventful and I finished in 44:52, a new PR by about 3 minutes.  This was my first sub-45 10k.  For the first time in a Striders race, I broke the top 100.  I was 90th overall and 8th in my 10-year age group.  Striders races are notoriously fast fields so this was something I was happy about this morning.  As is typical for my training, had to follow it up with a 1000 recovery swim.

Training this week was pretty intense.  I had two hour-long swim workouts with Team Fight and my elongated bike ride on Saturday.  The swim workouts were very much needed.  Tuesday we did back to back sprint reps for total workout of 1650 and Thursday we did about 2000 with a 1000 continuous and a 500 pace thrown in there.  Next week focuses on the bike, although I'll have three swim workouts as well.  Since the swim is probably my weakest and scariest discipline, I'm working to make that my priority.

I also start this coming week working with my wife to prepare her for her next Sprint triathlon.  She picked a pretty generic Hal Higdon basic training plan and I'm sort of playing coach by putting in specific workouts and sets.  I actually am excited to see how I can be as a pseudo-coach.  We are sitting down and working out training plans for both of us so we can each do our necessary training time and still take care of the life.  Training in a two triathlete household is a difficult thing to work out....(no pun intended - well, maybe a little intended).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gear Review: Orbea Ordu

Book Review: 80/20 Running

Gear Review: Campagnolo Bullet 80