Race Report: Best Damn Leftover 5k

Florida has a running race series called Best Damn Race.  It is an awkward title for a race that is really family friendly but this series does pride itself on being the Best Damn Race.   Colloquially known as BDR, there are varied distances and locations from Jacksonville to Orlando to Coral Gables.  My wife knows and has worked with the series race director.  This year they did a "leftover" 5k.  This race in Safety Harbor was to get rid of all of the extra shirts and medals from previous events.  You get to pick your shirt and you get to pick your medal.  First come, first serve.  BDR races are also remarkably inexpensive with their pricing tiers.  We ended up registering for this 5k for $13 each.  Fully supported with free beer, liquor, and food afterward, this really was the Best Damn Race.

Being June, this is expected to be a hot race.  It has really become oppressive over the past few weeks and 0-dark thirty running season has commenced.  The 5k started at 7:15 for wave 1 and 7:25 for wave 2.  The sun was up and it was hot already.  The course is near the water but that really doesn't help at all when the water is 89 degrees too.  There just comes a point where all races will suck no mater what.  We are into that season now.  At least there is no snow.

I started out this race with the goal of keeping around or below a 7 min/mile pace and try to hold that as long as I could.  Since the race was not overly large in total numbers, there would not be too much need for weaving or walls of people.  I started out and ran a 6:50 first mile.  But I felt it.  About half way (1.5 miles), that was it.  I started to slow down first to 7:12 then eventually to 7:30 and finally settled in for the last mile around 7:45.  The final mile and half had limited shade and there was not a cloud to be found.  This reminds me why I don't race in the summer.   Good training weather for building up fitness but lousy for setting PR or having a goal race.  I am also not training for a race so it was a chance to just go out and see what I could do.  No pressure. 

Overall managed a 22:50, which is technically my fastest 5k not attached to a triathlon.  I've only done one other 5k not attached to a triathlon so there really isn't much to compare.  This does mark 6 years since my first race (my other 5k).  Facebook timehop reminded my wife of this earlier in the week.  Six years later I can count over 50 races.  Not a bad way to spend a few years of life.  I have met so many people and have seen so many places due to this hobby that has become a way of life.   And I wouldn't trade it all for the world.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gear Review: Orbea Ordu

Book Review: 80/20 Running

Gear Review: Campagnolo Bullet 80