Local Race Roundup



Over the past few months, I've done a some spur-of-the-moment running races.  I enjoy running short races.  First off, they do not break the bank.  I can't really afford the veritable "marathon" of marathons since many have entry fees at the top end of my budget.  Second, local races are great for racing with friends.  You can decide to just go do it and visit with friends.  It is how we used to run when we first started out.  So over the last few months, I did some local racing.  Here is a little recap.

Fort Hamer Bridge 5K/10K (Parrish, FL)

This event is in the 2nd year and literally runs across a bridge and back (for the 5K).  There is a 10K option but I opted for the 5K.  The race originally started at 7:30a but due to some parking issues it was delayed to 8a.  The bridge is not a high bridge but it does have elevation (for Florida).  The Ft Hamer park is a rowing center so it has space and organizers had a fair amount of local vendors there in the "village".

It was a hot one so times were down across the board.  I ended up placing third in my age group.  It was a 23:10 overall but that was all I could do with the heat.  There isn't much shade and humidity is still stifling at that time.  This was such a good little race.  It was well organized and had good support.  We were not able to stay around after as we had to get back to life but it would be a good summer fun run.
No automatic alt text available.

Nice little age group "tile" award


The Run for the Twinkie 5K (Clearwater, FL)

This was a very sudden decision.  Karen and I were trying to find a September race and due to our schedules, this was the only one that fit.  So we signed up and did it.  This was also a hot one.  And the start time was 9am, which made it even hotter with the sun fully up.

We ran most of it together until I took off in the last mile to see what I could do.  Karen managed top 15 overall female.  I ran somewhere around 24 minutes.   Overall, it was a good little race.  There were no twinkies on site but the medal was really nice.  I wish there would have been twinkies but they are apparently hard to find nowadays.


Next on the horizon is the Clay Loop 15k/5k.  I am uncertain if I am doing the 15 or 5 but this is the last year you can do the whole 15k.  They are apparently paving a portion of the clay loop for development purposes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gear Review: Orbea Ordu

Gear Review: Campagnolo Bullet 80

Book Review: 80/20 Running