2013 MCM

Today I completed my 6th marathon and second Marine Corps Marathon.  Coming off of a hard tri season, I didn't set any goals or expectations for is race.  I have Space Coast Marathon coming up in a month and the MCM would be a check-in run.  This year's MCM was nearly derailed by the government shutdown.  Due to the use of federal lands that were closed, if the government had remained closed the race could not have been run.  

Last time I did this race it was 32 degrees at the start, so I expected it to be cold. That said, race time temperature was 41 degrees.  It was just cool enough to know the race wouldn't heat up but not too cold that it was uncomfortable. 

I started slow and probably back too far.  I was well behind the 4:30 pace group at the start and I knew it would get crowded.   It is self seed at the start so you could really start anywhere.  About mile one, I noticed that I had hit the wrong button on my watch and didn't start the crono.  Instead of turning it on, I just let it go and decided to run by feel.  I stopped running races with a Garmin last year but still had the stopwatch.  This time I had neither.  

After completing our course through Rosslyn and the requisite hills, we crossed the bridge into the District.  This year, the course was changed slightly from years past.  Usually, the route would turn left onto Canal road and more hills through Georgetown by the University. Instead, we turned left and dreaded directly into the Georgetown shopping district and flatter terrain.  To make up the difference, we also did an out and back on Rock Creek Parkway.  This road is much wider than the other streets and allowed for people to get a little breathing room. 

The course then went through the pancake flat tidal basin and National Mall.   This is a very scenic portion for all out-of-towners as you run past a multitude of Smithsonian buildings, national monuments and of course around the reflecting pool at the Capitol steps.  This is where many people also lose it.  Being so flat, the cramps typically start here.  Last time I had it at mile 18, right at the Capitol.  This time, I went right through.  

The next big obstacle was the bridge.  Starting at mile 20 and finishing at mile 22, the 14th street bridge is flat, sunny (if there is sun) and lonely.  No spectators are allowed on the bridge.  Since this is about the normal wall for most folks it is physically and mentally tough.  Having run the bridge last week as part of the Army 10 Miler, I had a little practice.  

Over the bridge, I stopped at friends to ditch some of the clothes I had taken off earlier and to get my usual mile 22 cupcake.  The next few miles wind around Crystal City where the crowds are huge. This is the party area as spectators and entertainment fill the course.  I was in the pain cave about now as I hadn't gone past 20 miles on a run since January.  I continued to keep moving forward and sticking to my plan of walking through the water stops.  

I finished and got my medal handed to me by a marine.  If you have never done this race, all the water stops and areas are worked by marines in uniform.  There are marines lining the streets and they formed a finish chute both before and after the finish.  It really is something to have these fine young men and women who do so much for us shake your hand and congratulate you after crossing the line.  All of the marines were bright and cheery for the whole race, offering encouragement and assistance as needed.   This year, I noticed that after the marine handed your medal, they were giving you a salute, which everybody was returning with great thanks.  

I checked my time and to my surprise, I PRed by 2 minutes and had nearly even splits.  This is incredible for me since I NEVER run even splits.  I think I will continue to run by feel.  The watch was screwing me up big time.  Total time 4:16:11.  

The MCM is filled with those who served, wounded warriors, those running for the fallen and civilians running for various causes.  It really is an experience.  Other races are also experiences (like Disney) but this is America's pep rally.  It is one of those events that make you leave feeling that American pride.  It is a coming together of all of the various police, fire, military and government agencies that have a hand in it to produce a well run event.  Of course there are issues but what event of 35,000+ people doesn't have issues. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gear Review: Orbea Ordu

Book Review: 80/20 Running

Gear Review: Campagnolo Bullet 80