Travel Time

Greetings from Wisconsin!  This is my first travel training week during Ironman training.  If you haven't followed my other posts, I am on a work trip this week to Madison, Wisconsin. I have never been to America's Dairyland so it's completely new to me.   I was pretty nervous when I first heard about the trips (the other is two weeks before Challenge) but have since done much work to prepare.  My big question: How the heck am I going to train?

It is a scary thought to be in the midst of your build phase hitting high volume workouts and to suddenly have a full week in a strange place. I have striven so hard to keep consistency in my schedule and training plan.  I finally figured out my nutrition.  Now I'm in a strange place with an altered routine.   My training partner is a pilot and he constantly deals with this issue.  I have gained a new respect for his situation from planning these multiple trips.  There are many variables including weather, geography and equipment to factor in.  It's really not feasible to do 70 mile rides, 15 mile runs or 3000y swims in hotel fitness centers or in hotel pools.  But a week completely off would be much worse.  

This week I took a proactive approach to planning training.  I knew my training plan; I knew my travel schedule; I knew my work schedule.  All I had to do is line it up.  Travel is on Monday, my rest day so I can take my time and get used to the area and the fatigue from the airport.  So the biggest challenge would be the swim.  I first found the local Y.  Since my wife and I are members at the Y in Annapolis, I had them check with the Y in Madison to see if I could use the AWAY (Always Welcome at the Y) program.  Indeed, I can.   They Y center is only about 10 miles from my hotel and I have a rental car.  So check, check and check for swim planning.  I scoped the traffic today and have a good idea where I am going.  

As for biking, my two short rides are Tuesday and Thursday morning so I can do intervals on the stationary bike.  Bonus: the hotel, is next to the local bike shop so I'm sure I can find a real bike to rent if I really want it.  My long ride can be completed when I return on the weekend.  Free breakfast means protein replacement before work starts.  I made sure to check out the gym to verify that there indeed was a stationary bike before making assumptions.  

Running wouldn't be an issue. I knew that going in.   I am outside of Madison in a very small town called Verona.  There isn't much traffic and there are trails all around.  I know I can also run on the campus of the company where I am training.  I'm also used to running while traveling.  Both of my runs are under 6 miles (my long run was shifted to the BWI loop after I get back to the airport).  For the short runs, I can do the treadmill if absolutely necessary.  Temps here are in the high 50s by afternoon so outside will be just fine. 

The part I am still struggling with is nutrition.   I didn't want to pack all of my things in my bag due to the size but I am now having difficulty finding a large grocery store.  Tomorrow may be dedicated to searching (or asking) where you can find things that aren't milk, beer or cheese curds.  I will say the beer is top notch here.  I had one called Spotted Cow today at the local pub.  Speaking of nutrition planning........

Anyway, I have two reviews to get through this week as I recently bought some Vuelta Zerolite wheels and have started reading Joe Friel's Triathlete's Training Bible.  Expect some posts with substance soon.  For now...off for more cheese.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gear Review: Orbea Ordu

Book Review: 80/20 Running

Gear Review: Campagnolo Bullet 80