Gear Review: Zerolite Comp by Vuelta

A few weeks ago I purchased a set of Zerolite Comp Clinchers by Vuelta to replace my stock AlexRims on my road bike.  I only use my road bike for short rides or when I am going to be in heavy traffic.  My 2011 aluminum Fuji isn't suited to go fast or simulate race conditions but it works well for recreational and training purposes.  I wanted to try something a little deeper and with better hubs than stock.  Vuelta Zerolites have popped up in searches several times as I was going through the online bike component sector.

First, I will start with look.  The Zerolites are not to shabby in the appeal department.  They are designed pretty well.  The lettering seems to be solid on the wheels even through some wet rides.  The spokes are also black, giving the wheels a matte look when riding.   They look very similar to other wheels in the 30mm range.


Aerodynamics are a non-issue as it's obvious that these aren't going to give you the advantages of deeper true aero rims.  The Zerolites have a 30mm depth, in line with many other entry level wheels.  As I said earlier, it is doubtful that I'll ride my road bike fast enough to see any aero benefit from the wheels.  That said, they do spin very well and are solidly built.  I have ridden them on some rough roads around my neighborhood.  They stand up well to washboard conditions with little flex on accelerations.  

Vuelta has made the hub very loud.  The ratchet never let's you forget that you are spinning the free hub.  It is annoying at first but once you have a few rides under your belt, it is less noticeable.  I've noticed some more expensive hubs that have the same racket so this isn't a measure of quality so much as preference.  

Perhaps the biggest drawback to these wheels is weight.  The Zerolites are not true to their name.  They are heavier than my Shimano R500s that I use for bulletproof training.  Weighing in at over 2000g for the pair, there are certainly lighter wheels within the low end price range.  This issue really did not impede the wheels for my use as my Fuji is pretty heavy to begin with.  A few grams are barely noticeable.  Put them on the Orbea though, and I am sure the weight would be noticeable.  I have not yet tried them on true hills, as I live in a mostly flat area.   I am sure that the heaviness would be most apparent with these wheels on longer climbs.

Overall, I am happy with the Zerolite wheelset as a combination of solid quality and price point.   The best feature of the set is the very low price.  I purchased my set on sale for less than $100 (retail is about $149 for the set).  For the price and the purpose of everyday recreational riding, these wheels are a good bet.  I have only put around 100 miles on them so far and I will report back should there be any problems with longevity.

Specs from the manufacturer:

ZeroLite Comp Clincher
Handbuilt 700c Alloy Road Wheelset Rims: Pinned 30mm aluminum alloy medium-V with CNC-machined sidesSpokes: Aero 2.8mm black stainless steel, 3X front/rear Hubs: Low-flange design w/ball bearings (2Fx2R), 24H front/24H rear Extras: QR skewers, urethane-coated nylon rim strips Compatibility: Shimano/SRAM 8/9/10 speedColors: Black
Weight: Front 884g/Rear 1151g = Pair 2035g

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gear Review: Orbea Ordu

Book Review: 80/20 Running

Gear Review: Campagnolo Bullet 80