Becoming a Triathlete

Being relatively new to triathlon (in my second season of competition), I have taken up the habit of listening.  My wife would tell you this is not one of my best qualities but I'm not talking about domestic listening here.  I mean that I have been talking to others and reading other points of view to pick up tips about the sport.  Absorbing knowledge like a sponge has helped me become a smarter triathlete, if not a better one.

One of the things that I frequently observe is the tendency for many who compete in triathlon to identify themselves with an individual sport.  Often, triathletes will say they are a cyclist or a runner or a swimmer primarily.  Many, indeed, have migrated to triathlon from competition in one of the three sports.  As you would have it, I came to triathlon by way of running.  For my first few triathlons, I remember myself talking about running and my previous road races.  

Some say that runners have an advantage as they are in familiar territory during the most difficult part of the triathlon.  It has been observed that a majority of triathletes fail on the run, either because they fail to pay enough attention to the "easiest" of the sports or they simply run out of gas.  Others venture that cyclists have the advantage due to the length of the bike portion.  The bike length is the longest leg, by time, and is where many triathletes can make the largest improvement in their overall times.  Yet, a third group would say that swimming is the hardest barrier to triathlon and swimmers can already excel at this.  Whatever you believe, you have to do all three to make it to the finish line.  

So when does one "become" a triathlete?  When do you stop being a "runner" or "cyclist" or "swimmer, and become a triathlete?  Another interesting point to ponder is "what is a triathlete versus someone who does triathlons."  Not everyone who completes a road race will call themselves a runner. Does the same thing apply to triathlon?  

I think this point is on my horizon.  I simply have very little desire to do any road races.  Last season, I had road races planned as my safe zone to bring me back into my athletic comfort level.  This season as I pack in more triathlons, including the monolithic Ironman in the middle, I find little desire to run for the sake of just running.  The running races I plan (if any) tend to be either tune-up races for some triathlon or Space Coast Marathon in Dec, for which I am competing in a 5 year series and have committed to running.  All of the road races I swore I'd do every year have been replaced by triathlons.  This is why I say I am at a crossroads. 

It is interesting to hear perspectives of multi-sport athletes for why they do triathlon.  So now, I pose it to you out there.  When did you "become" a triathlete?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gear Review: Orbea Ordu

Book Review: 80/20 Running

Gear Review: Campagnolo Bullet 80