New Climate, Big Changes

My first week back training is done.  It is also my first week of officially training in my new home, Florida.  

I will say one thing about Florida.  It is hot.  We witnessed the state's transition from winter (referred to as "not hot" around here to summer, hot). When we arrived in Florida in late February, the high temperatures were around 65-70 degrees with lows in the 50s and occasionally in the 40s.  This seemed very warm to us coming from -10 at some points.  About two weeks ago, March came and with it went winter.  Temps rose overnight to near 90 and have stayed there with highs hovering in the 85-90 mark each day.   Nights do get down to about 65-68 (the previous highs).  So that's it.  Now it is hot and there doesn't seem to be end in sight.  Today is a cool 80 degrees with a nice breeze.  I will say that it is pretty interesting to look at the 10 day extended forecast and see the same symbol and numbers for nearly the whole board.  Strike one up for consistency.  

With this new climate, I've had to relearn some things about training: when to run, when to bike, and how to deal with sudden showers.  I normally run after work before dinner but I've had to push my runs to either the morning at sunrise or right before sunset.  Mostly the heat affects running,  because of the pretty consistent breeze and the motion of biking, I find my rides to be less of a challenge.  Swimming isn't an issue here either inside or outside for the most part.  Just watch out for the wildlife or spring breakers (a different kind of wild life).  I've also learned not to cut my grass in the middle of the afternoon on a sunny day.   Proper sunscreen and mosquito repellant application has become a skill I definitely have to master.   

With all that, it is nice to take a bike ride next to a canal where people are gator-watching. Or to see all sorts of birds of many different feathers.  I have seen some of the most gorgeous views along the bay and along the numerous well-maintained cycling, running and hiking trails.  The trails seems to be longer and well maintained in this part of the area.  Unlike the northeast, the transition from urban area to very rural area is pretty quick.  It doesn't take more than a 10 minute drive in some places to find yourself "in the sticks" as they say.  

Florida has a high number of endurance athletes.  I've noticed by the sheer number and size of the running, cycling, and triathlon clubs around the state.  It's really present in central and south Florida with higher concentrations of urban areas.  I'm still searching for the right groups to join and for the right bike shop.  I have a few leads on good running groups and group training activities at various local places.  I have found in my time in Maryland that good support and knowing the local group training picture can help in designing and executing a long training schedule.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gear Review: Orbea Ordu

Book Review: 80/20 Running

Gear Review: Campagnolo Bullet 80