Gear Review: Nathan AP Pro

I had been looking for a BTA (between the arms) hydration system for a little while.  The usual suspects such as the Xlab Torpedo, Profile Design HC, and the Speedfil A2 were on my list.   I did decide to use the standard Speedfil mounted to my downtube but also wanted a BTA for water that could be easily refilled.  

I decided to go with the Nathan AP Pro after seeing it on sale at my local bike shop.  My wife uses Nathan hydration belts for running and I am very familiar with the company due to their running accessories.  But they are known for running, not cycling.  I'll be honest.  I bought it simply because of Andy Potts.  The AP Pro actually stands for Andy Potts, the pro triathlete and primary seller of this product.  According to what I have read, Nathan worked with Potts to design it and much of its design comes from what Ports specifically wanted in a BTA.  Hey, if it works for Andy, why not give it a try? Additionally, it does fit the needs of what I was looking for: 24 ounces, quick fill, straw, and aerobar mount.   

Unfortunately, I have to give it a mixed review.  First, let's describe the AP Pro.  It features a torpedo-shaped bottle that separates in the middle.  It has a straw with a bite valve that comes out of the rear of the bottle.  This straw also has a semi-insulated holder that keeps it in position and from flopping around.  In the front of the bottle, there is a quick fill rubber valve that has an optional cover that snaps over it to prevent any splashing.  The mount has four c-shaped snaps on articulating arms that move to accommodate any aerobar shape or spacing.  

Mount: It has been said that this is the most flexible and easiest mount to install or move that is on the market.  I will agree with this statement.  The mount essentially can be placed anywhere on your bars and is easily removed.  I have already swapped it between my bike and my wife's bike in a matter of seconds.  

Positives:  I will start with the positives of the bottle.  It fits well between the aerobars and does not feel bulky or awkward like other systems.  I am coming to this from using the Profile Design Aerodrink system, which is an absolute pain to set up and work correctly.  The AP Pro sits nicely.  It also has a clear flat top where you can see just how much liquid you have left.  Newer opaque bottles look sleek in black but you cannot see how much you have left.  You can also place a pacing sheet or something else on top of the bottle as the surface is flat.  

The bite valve and straw placement are also nice.  I prefer mine a little longer and allow it to curl backward.  It does require me to use my hand to flip the straw to my mouth but I prefer that to having the straw in my face for 112 miles.  If you prefer to have the straw at your lips, you can adjust the placement and the length of the straw to accommodate.  

I find filling it to be easy.  You are able to just insert a bottle and fill through the quick fill valve.  The plastic cap (when snapped in correctly) eliminates any splashing from the valve.  More on this plastic cap later. 

Negatives:  The biggest negative of this is initial filling and cleaning.  Because the bottle twists apart in the center, you cannot fill it using a faucet or by pouring.  You have to use the rubber valve and insert the nipple or opening of a water bottle.  The rubber valve does not allow you to place it under a water jug to fill.  This is a pain for when you initially fill the bottle.  You cannot use your refrigerator filter or a jug.  You have to make sure the container will fit into the rubber fill valve to fill it up.  Likewise, when cleaning, the lip on the screw portion doesn't fully allow the water to drain when trying to drip dry after washing.   It is a little hard to clean the front portion.  There is a clear o-ring inside the female end of the screw together bottle.  This can fall out quite easily and if not in place, the bottle WILL leak from the center. Unfortunately it is clear so it is difficult to notice if it falls out when cleaning or taking it apart.  This probably should not be clear. 

One of the major criticisms from other reviews is the plastic splash guard.  As I said, when it is snapped in place, it does not come loose nor does it allow water to splash.  Note that it is not a seal so if you turn it upside down, it allows water to come out.  Even on the bumpiest roads, it doesn't allow for upward splashing.  The problem is getting it to snap on.  When you are off of the bike it is not an issue.  Since I usually stop to refill, I do not consider this an issue for me.  I can take my time and snap it back on.  The issue is when trying to refill on the fly.  It is very difficult to get the splash guard to snap back in while moving.  It takes a lot of concentration and manual dexterity.  If it is not snapped in, the cap will bounce around on its leash.  This can be very annoying for those trying to refill on the fly. 

The bottle is difficult to get out of the mount.  As I said above, it is very secure in the mount but to release the bottle, you have to pull out on two tabs and pop the bottle out.  If you force it, the plastic mount can break.  I find that I have difficulty disengaging the tabs to pop it out.  

I found the AP Pro to also be pretty cheaply constructed.  The gray paint on the side and bottom of the bottle is already coming off and I have only had the bottle for three weeks and on three rides.  This is concerning to those looking for a potentially lasting product.  It is also concerning given the price point. It isn't expensive but there are a number of competitors around this price range.

Finally, there are no mounts for any computer or GPS.  As I said above, there is a flat area on top which is an ideal place for the computer but Nathan does not make any mounting devices. You can certainly rig something up yourself but this is a huge area of potential that Nathan has not realized.  Of course, most other brands do not have a mount either but the new Profile Design does and for only $25 more in price for the similar bottle size.   I think this is an area where Nathan can look to develop in any future models.  

With all that said, I will continue to use the AP Pro system for now.   It does meet my needs and is far superior to the Aerodrink system.  The coloring is unique which makes it stand out in the crowd.  To give a fair assessment, I would say this is a truly mixed review with a 50/50 split of pros and cons.  Fortunately, I do not use a mounted computer nor do I refill on the fly so the positives do outweigh the negatives.  This may change for another athlete.  Remember with any product to evaluate it for YOU.  

Thank you for reading.  Look for reviews of the Speedfil Standard and Polar M400 coming up soon.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gear Review: Orbea Ordu

Book Review: 80/20 Running

Gear Review: Campagnolo Bullet 80