Loyalty

Anyone that knows me will say that I am a brand loyal person.  When I find something that I like, it takes a lot to move me from that brand.  Sometimes, I weigh brand over function, especially when it comes to tech gear.  Stubborn is also a descriptor I've heard once or twice.  I am quite predictable when it comes to my routine.

I have been running in Saucony shoes since 2009 when I started running.  More specifically, I have run my races almost exclusively in the Saucony Kinvaras since the first edition of the shoe.  Now on the Kinvara 7, it has been my training partner for nearly eight years.  In fact, the Kinvara and I have been together longer than I have been married.  It is a shoe that fit me well and got the job done.

My recent plateau in performance and my continued chronic soreness have made me start to rethink maintaining the status quo.  I have seen the rise of minimalism.  I have seen the fall of minimalism.  Now is the dawning of the age of maximalism and those awful-looking Hoka One One shoe boxes.  Technology and styles have changed a lot since I chose the Kinvara.  Maybe it is time to explore what has come around in the last few years.  I did pick up a pair of Zoot Kiawe last year as a triathlon exclusive shoe due to the sock liner and the quick on-off design.  They became my adjunct shoe mainly serving as a tri racing shoe. My shoe quiver is now at a staggering 2 models.

At the WDW marathon expo, I met a vendor from 361 Degrees.  This company is one of the largest athletic shoe manufacturers in China.  They are already in China and Europe but have just hit the US running market in 2014.  I spent some time chatting with them and tried on their shoes.  It was very comfortable and some of their models fit my needs.  My wife bought a pair at the expo but being me, I needed much more research before investing.

In my research, I have come across a wide variety of shoes.  I have also experimented with the new online shoe finders, such as the one on Runners' World, to see what it would recommend.  Shoe guides and size guides surround me, leading to hopefully the right shoe.  Racing flats from Mizuno and daily trainers from Newton came up in my feeds.  Unfortunately, now my Facebook ads are all for running shoes due to my extensive Googling.

And here they are.  The new shoes for the new season.  Mizuno Hitogami and 361 degrees Volitation.  Last year models of course as I rarely buy the newest versions to try.






It will certainly be a journey.  I am nervous about risking injury or choosing poorly and setting myself back, not only in performance but also in money spent on a tight budget.  The other side of the argument pushes me to see what can happen so I don't coast through another season of mediocre results.  And if it doesn't work, back to the status quo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gear Review: Orbea Ordu

Book Review: 80/20 Running

Gear Review: Campagnolo Bullet 80