Gear I Use 2017

Inspired by DC Rainmaker (who I am not), I decided to put together a list of gear I use.  I find it helpful to share what I use to mainly be able to look back year to year as I accumulate new gear and find new things.   This is my list as of mid 2017.  The new year may bring new toys and gadgets but it also may not.  I hope to be able to update these every year as my gear changes.

Swim

Wetsuit: Zoot Z-Force 2.0 - I have both a sleeveless and full-sleeved version of the Z-Force.  I affectionately call these my Zoot Suits.

Pool Goggles: Michael Phelps Aquasphere/Orca Profile- These are a new addition from last Christmas.  I use the Michael Phelps mostly for pool swimming.  They are a bit awkward around my eyes but they have very nice lenses that really do not fog up.

Open Water Goggles:  I use simple single-strap non-adjustable Orca Profile goggles that I acquired in bulk for under $3 a pair on a lightning deal.  And three years later they still work.  I have four or so pair.  I have never found a pair of goggles that are more comfortable.

Swim Cap: Whatever free race cap I pull out of the drawer.

Open Water Watch: Garmin 920 XT

Bike

Tri Bike: Orbea Ordu - I can't say enough good things about this bike.  I call it my Rocketship.  It was a mid range tri-specific bike when I bought it in 2013 but it does perform very well.

Road Bike: Specialized Roubaix - This was a Craig's list find that was probably my best purchase of any gear.  It was dirt cheap but the previous owner had taken such good care of it that I still have many years ahead.  It is light and absorbs road vibration like a champ. I just upgraded the components so it is like a new bike.  It now has brand new Shimano 105 groupset and Mavic Cosmic wheels.

Road Helmet: Giro Traverse - Cheap and comfortable.

Aero Helmet: Scott Split - A birthday present to myself.  It only has one race on it but performed well.

Training Wheelset: Vuelta Zerolite - Another cheap find that works quite well and also looks pretty good.  They are very heavy but for training that is ok.

Racing Wheelset: Campagnolo Bullet - I bought these because they are 80mm deep carbon faring wheels but have an alloy body and brake track.  This makes them heavier than all-carbon wheels, but I don't have to worry about changing out brake pads each time.  They are also stronger against bumps and won't crack as easily as all-carbon wheels.  I find them incredibly light despite not being entirely carbon.

Bike Computer: Polar v650 - This is a nice computer with a color touch screen.

Bike Trainer: NEW: Wahoo Kickr SNAP.  This was a brand new buy based on reviews.  It is an upgrade from the wired Tacx i-Flow VR that I was using previously.  For travel/non-smart training, I use the CycleOps Mag+ trainer.  It is easier to port around and does not require a plug.

Run

Daily Trainers - Saucony Ride 9

Speedwork/Racing: Saucony Kinvara - These have been my running staple for about 5 years.  With a 4mm heel-toe drop and weighing in about 7-8oz each, they provide enough cushion yet retain the "minimalist" feel.

Triathlon/Racing: Zoot Kiawe 2.0 - The most comfortable sock-liner I have ever felt.  The Zoots are easy to get on and off for transition and are under 7 oz each, making them very light for racing.

Running Watch: Garmin 920XT

Running Shorts: Raceready - Pockets.  Lots of pockets.  Enough said.

Triathlon/Misc

Tri Watch: Garmin 920 XT - See above.

Car Rack: Saris Bones 2 - This is the only trunk-mounted rack that will fit both the MINI and my Prius without significant adjustments or scratching the heck out of them.

Analysis Program: FinalSurge - a free alternative to TrainingPeaks that I find to be just fine for what I do with the data, which is really nothing.  I also use Garmin Connect for some features but it is not as intuitive as the outside platforms.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gear Review: Orbea Ordu

Book Review: 80/20 Running

Gear Review: Campagnolo Bullet 80