Race Report: St. Pete Run Fest 10k

This is a very very late race report but I went through a period of a funk where I didn't do anything so I'm just getting back the energy to write these again.  I have about twenty posts just sitting in various stages of progress.  Oh well, here's the report. 

I hadn't been feeling well for a few months in general.  Even now almost a year after this race, I still am not quite sure what is off but I'm doing much better.   There were very few expectations in the race just to see what I could do.  It was a 10k that I should be able to pull off even not training specifically for it. 

The race is a nice course starting in downtown St. Pete near the Mahaffey Theatre and Dali Museum.  It runs basically out toward Tropicana Field and then back.  While there is a little rise of a few feet outward, the course is flat.  There is also a lap inside Tropicana Field on the warning track of the baseball field, so that is an added bonus. 

I went out at my pace and kept to myself.  I would evaluate the heat and how I felt later.  I felt surprisingly ok-ish for the whole way out.  My foot was not bothering me as much and I didn't feel like I wanted to die, so that's a win.  About halfway through, I latched on to a few people who were running a similar speed.  We "drafted" and just ran as a group for a while.  When we merged with the half marathon a little later, I lost track of where I was in position.  I just went back to running my race.   I felt like this could be a new 10k personal best (not a high bar from previous events, I will say) but I wasn't sure.  I kept going hoping that it would just fall into place. 

As I turned the final corner, I heard the announcer talking about the top ten.  I thought there is no way I'm that high up but when I crossed the finish line, they said "and another top ten finisher".  Holy crap WTF.  After looking over results, I was within two minutes of the overall podium.  This was a personal best for me but also to be that high in the standings was not what I expected from the day.  Maybe on a better day or training I could have challenged for a podium (or a win?) but for today I'll take it.  This is the closest to the podium I've ever been and on a field of over 1000 runners.  Take the wins where you can get them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gear Review: Orbea Ordu

Gear Review: Campagnolo Bullet 80

Book Review: 80/20 Running