Gear I Use 2016

Inspired by DC Rainmaker (which I am not), I decided to put together a list of gear I use.  I find it helpful to share what I use to mainly be able to look back year to year as I accumulate new gear and find new things.   This is my list as of the end of 2016.  The new year may bring new toys and gadgets but it also may not.

Swim

Wetsuit: Zoot Z-Force 2.0 - I have both a sleeveless and full-sleeved version of the Z-Force.  I affectionately call these my Zoot Suits.

Goggles: Michael Phelps Aquasphere/Orca Profile- These are a new addition from Christmas.  Previously, I used simple single-strap non-adjustable Orca Profile goggles that I acquired in bulk for under $3 a pair on a lightning deal.  And three years later they still work.  I have four or so pair. 

Swim Cap: Whatever free race cap I pull out of the drawer.

Open Water Watch: Timex Global Trainer - This one is an oldie but goodie.  The Global Trainer is pretty old technology by industry standards but as of now it is the only thing I own that will even attempt GPS open water swims.  The distance is not accurate but I have found after four years of using this that it is roughly double the actual distance.  So I usually just divide the GPS reading in half.  I anticipate this being replaced soon by a more specific - triathlon watch (Garmin 920XT).  The Global Trainer isn't flashy and it is huge on my wrist but it is reliable. 

Bike

Tri Bike: Orbea Ordu - I can't say enough good things about this bike.  I call it my Rocketship.  It was a mid range tri-specific bike when I bought it in 2013 but it does perform very well.

Road Bike: Specialized Roubaix - This was a Craig's list find that was probably my best purchase of any gear.  It was dirt cheap but the previous owner had taken such good care of it that I still have many years ahead.  It is light and absorbs road vibration like a champ.

Road Helmet: Giro Traverse - Cheap and comfortable. 

Aero Helmet: Scott Split - A birthday present to myself.  It has yet to see a season but it will get a lot of use this coming year.

Training Wheelset: Vuelta Zerolite - Another cheap find that works quite well and also looks pretty good on my Roubaix.  They are very heavy for a wheelset but for training that is ok. 

Racing Wheelset: Campagnolo Bullet - I bought these because they are 80mm deep carbon faring wheels but have an alloy body and brake track.  This makes them heavier than all-carbon wheels, but I don't have to worry about changing out brake pads each time.  They are also stronger against bumps and won't crack as easily as all-carbon wheels.  I find them incredibly light despite not being entirely carbon. 

Bike Computer: Polar v650 - This is a nice computer with a color touch screen.

Bike Trainer: Tacx I-Flow - The I-Flow has some virtual reality options and the ability to go up to 6% grade in slope.

Run

Long Course Shoes: Saucony Kinvara - These have been my running staple for about 5 years.  With a 4mm heel-toe drop and weighing in about 7-8oz each, they provide enough cushion yet retain the "minimalist" feel.

Short Course/Racing: Zoot Kiawe 2.0 - The most comfortable sock-liner I have ever felt.  The Zoots are easy to get on and off for transition and are under 7 oz each, making them very light for racing. 

Running Watch: Polar M400 - The M400 is a good running watch that can also do cycling and is water resistant for the pool.  See my full blog post for the details on the watch.  Again this will depend on the Garmin 920XT for next season.

Running Shorts: Raceready - Pockets.  Lots of pockets.  Enough said.

Triathlon/Misc

Tri Watch: Timex Global Trainer - See above.

Car Rack: Saris Bones 2 - This is the only trunk-mounted rack that will fit both the MINI and my Prius without significant adjustments or scratching the heck out of them.

Analysis Program: FinalSurge - a free alternative to TrainingPeaks that I find to be just fine for what I do with the data, which is really nothing.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gear Review: Orbea Ordu

Book Review: 80/20 Running

Gear Review: Campagnolo Bullet 80