Race Report: 2017 Walt Disney World Marathon

This was my third WDW Marathon.  I decided to sign up for it on a whim since we are now locals and there were still spots available a month ago.  It was supposed to be a redemption race for the poor performance at Space Coast.  After my sickness at Space Coast, I had a full month plus one week to recover and get back together.   I did not ramp training back up but used a transitional plan to bridge the gap.  It wasn't particularly heavy on volume but the main goal was no injury.  WDW Marathon was also to have fun.  I would be running with two friends and we anticipated pictures an overall good time.


Race Week

I didn't get Friday and Monday off of work so this wasn't a vacation weekend.  My wife arrived earlier in the week with other friends as they were doing all of the Disney races.  I arrived Friday evening after work and departed early Monday to make it back to work.  Orlando is just 60 miles to the north so I am able to make the drive in a hour without traffic.  Friday night traffic made it more like two and half hours but I didn't have anywhere to be.  I headed up making sure to check if anyone else needed last minute things from the outside world.

Saturday, Disney cancelled the half-marathon due to strong storms and lightning.  They made the announcement Friday night.  Many people did the 13.1 on their own during the day.  They made the right call with strong storms overnight preventing crews from really setting up and there were lingering storms with lightning until about 10am.  I only had to go to the expo so we headed out with umbrella in hand to pick up my packet.  The forecast kept creeping down for Sunday so I made sure I had all of my cold weather running gear.

Race Day

It was cold.  Period.  I layered up and put on my throwaways.  I can honestly say this was one of the top three coldest races I have ever done.  I believe the snowy 32 degree MCM of 2013 still takes the cake but we were solidly at 36 with a wind chill at 28.  In Florida.  That is crazy cold for this area.  The last time it was this cold was probably marathon weekend 2010.  But if this is the coldest for seven years, I'll take it.

We were off in corral C.  We started the race and immediately I wanted to shed some layers.  Although it was cold, being Florida it was still humid so any activity did create sweat.  After some deciding making, I decided to keep the layers because once the sun came up the humidity would burn off and it would be colder.  I am glad I did.  I spent much of the race being hot and then being frozen depending on the wind direction.  At times, I would want to take off my base layers but then I would turn a corner and be freezing from the wind on my wet clothes.



Image may contain: 2 people, people standing
Sporting some pajama pants over my running tights. 


I left my companions about mile 14.5 since they were a bit faster and I was fading.  I could tell I would be run-walking for the rest of the race.  Just keep moving forward.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, shoes and outdoor
Giving up.  And getting passed by the person in the pink tutu

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, sky and outdoor.
Running away from the giant golf ball.

Image may contain: one or more people, shoes, sky, child and outdoor
Finishing with a high five for Minnie.

Overall (4:26:37)

This was not a good performance.  It will stand as my best WDW marathon, not becuase it was good but because my others were all pretty bad.  Disney does not seem to be a fast place for me.  I am disappointed in my running cycle for this year but I learned a lot of good lessons.  All of the data that I gained from this year will let me see where I have room for modifications next year.   With this race, I end my marathon season and go back to triathlon training for the spring/summer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gear Review: Orbea Ordu

Book Review: 80/20 Running

Gear Review: Campagnolo Bullet 80